Solution Graphics

Foodbuzz
Ask an Expert - Visit my Virtual Office at LivePerson
Pin It now!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Garden State Cake Show was held on February 4th and 5th at the Tabernacle Baptist Church in Burlington, NJ.   If you missed it this year you can already mark your calendar (like me) for next year.  The show will be March 9th and 10th of 2012!  I can't wait to hear the theme so I can start planning my entry :)

This year I was so impressed with all of the cakes at the show and I took a TON of pictures.  Let's start with the competition entries.  I apologize in advance for not knowing the category and division of each cake or if they placed.  After taking these pictures cakes were moved around and not all of the ribbons were on the tables.





This was an Intermediate Adult, Show Theme entry.  The contestant is a Police Sargent in real life.



I love this cake.  It was my favorite in the whole show.  The picture doesn't do it justice because the amount of detail in this cake is insane.



Professional, Show Theme entry.  Not only did this win 1st but it won best in show!  Again, the detail work is crazy!


This was such a cute idea for a cake.  I think those are handmade chocolates.



All of these cakes, except for the white one, were in the Advanced Adult Tier/Novelty Category.  The one to the left won 1st, 2nd is not shown and the yellow/orange cake (mine!) won 3rd.  The flags on the back cake spun around...very cool.



Another Intermediate Adult, Show Theme entry.  I know this cake placed but I'm not sure which.  I want to say 3rd but I could be wrong.  Next time I'm writing all of this down :)


The food on this cake looked so real.  One of my favorites for sure.


I know this one placed as well.  I believe it was also in the Intermediate Adult, Show Theme category.  I still can't figure out how they did that with the top tier :)













The show also had all kinds of classes that I unfortunately was unable to sign up for but I was able to attend a free demo on how to use the Cricut Cake.  I learned a few tips that are really going to help me in the future.  Keep an eye out for a post.  In the mean time, here is a sample cake the instructors provided.






The last portion of the show was dedicated to a live challenge.  It was really cool to watch professionals at work but I have to admit, it can get a little boring if you are used to the fast paced drama found on Food Network's Challenge.  However, it was still a great experience and I learned a lot when they let us walk on stage.  In fact, some of the techniques I saw helped me with my son's cake last week!  Here are a few pictures...



There were 4 teams and they had 3 hours to create a cake that fits the show's theme, A Childhood Wish or Dream/What I Want to be When I Grow Up.








Halfway through they let us walk on stage.  This was the team that helped me with my son's cake :)  It was great being able to see a figure made from PVC and cereal treats...

This next group gave me a better understanding of large cake figures.


Team 3 used wire to give the effect of a draped fondant flag.  The pipes on the left will be added to cake on the right and the copper wiring in between is what will support the flag. (You'll understand when you see the finished cake.)  I'm going to use this trick someday.


I couldn't believe how fast team 4 banged out that car!


Once the judging was over we were allowed to go on stage one last time to see the finished cakes...



Ultimately Team 1 was the winner!

















I felt so bad about this cake...all that work and the hand fell off :(









See the flag :)  I remember watching them make this cake thinking they weren't going to finish because for the longest time they just had boots on the cake. Then, in what seemed like the last 10 minutes, they pulled out a pole, hat and flag!



You can't see it in the picture but this cake had flashing lights and to the left is a 5 point star that was supposed to be on top (they told me it didn't dry in time).











That was pretty much my day at the Garden State Cake Show but out of all these memories, there is one for me that tops them all...


...getting my 1st place ribbon in my very first cake show!





Related Posts with Thumbnails

____________________________________________________________________________________________


1 Response to "Garden State Cake Show 2011"

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Congratulations on your win! I am thinking about going to the NJ cake show this year. I have to drive 2 hours though. Do you think it is worth it? Thanks. Kathy

Leave a Reply

We would love to hear what you think.


Related Posts with Thumbnails