Solution Graphics

Foodbuzz
Ask an Expert - Visit my Virtual Office at LivePerson
Pin It now!


Well it probably isn't a new trick but it definitely new to me and I feel silly for not thinking of this sooner.  If you've ever stacked buttercream covered cakes like the one here, you know how easy it is to put fingerprints and smudges in your beautifully iced cake.  After years of this issue, it finally occurred to me that frozen buttercream smudges a whole lot less then chilled or room temperature buttercream.  I mean think about it, isn't that the whole idea behind the frozen buttercream transfer?

I start by icing the upper tiers first.  If we call the bottom tier, tier 1, I will cover tiers 2, 3, 4...etc. in that order.  As each tier is covered I place it in the freezer.  Once all the tiers are freezing I ice the bottom tier, dowel it and start stacking.  The cakes have only been in the freezer long enough to harden the icing for a moment so you will need to work fast.  And this doesn't mean you can hold the cake like you would a fondant covered cake because your warm hands will leave some kind of mark but, if you do need to touch the cake you won't leave a huge hole in your icing. 

Here are some other links to help you stack a cake...

Video Tutorial: Stacking Cakes
Video Tutorial: Using Dowels
Recipe: Buttercream Icing
Tutorial: Icing a Cake w/the Viva Paper Towel Method

Related Posts with Thumbnails

____________________________________________________________________________________________


No Responses to "New Trick to Stacking Buttercream Cakes"

Leave a Reply

We would love to hear what you think.


Related Posts with Thumbnails